Friday, July 17, 2009

A lot of people have been asking “what is the story behind the name of the album, "Halflight and Shadows"?”

Here’s the answer: I started noticing that nearly every song had some word about light and/or dark in it. And they progress along a journey from dark to light.
Here are little snippets from each song, quoted for you to see: (info on full link at the bottom of this page)
The wind has swallowed all of the light inside this place. Midnight; I’m torn asunder. No glimmer left inside this place. When I wake up in the morning, would you be there? And I know this is only a dream of darkened sleep. Wake me into the light. I’ve slept too long. Wake me into the light of morning. I’ll wake when I see your eyes shine bright.
Everything changes when you close your eyes. Sleep in the bed that you made!
And the war was always out there in your eyes.
Domino, oh no no, watch as the pieces fall. Light dances round me on the other side. Light floods the world. When it’s all dark, I’ll find the light of day. If I am blind, strike me with lightning, yeah.
Well the sun is slowly fading, but the moon is rising high. Tonight, tonight we drive…. in our beat up little black car on this endless midnight road. When I hold your hand, the headlights blur the road. The stars are coming out. Skies above us sparkle; It’s our time to shine. Days and nights flutter by. Today I will be holding on. Today. Today. Well the moon is slowly fading, but the sun is waking up. Pack your bags cause we’ve got things to do today…
Morning light upon my pillowcase… Well, hello, here comes the day. Let the sun upon my face... Far too long I’ve slept in solitude with these walls as cold as ice. If I wake will it be worth it all to feel the sun upon my face? Hiding from the eyes that love me still with the sun upon my face.
I am one, I am one of many, in a sea full of shining stars. When the lights go out on the city I see one bright star. And it shines with a light for many and it bids for the world to come. Walk on the water in the dark of the night. Step into the epicenter. Empty you will find. There’s a calm that holds you tight.
Don’t wake me from this dream standing in between the fairytale and your goodbye. Yellow, red and green…golden is the scene, when you place your hand on mine.
Take a moment and breathe life in. Breathe in sunlight and warm summer wind. All the days of chasing time, fade into nothing, but this moment’s mine. Take in the moments when the sun will shine as the time heals…heals… heal.
All hail, kiss the day. Stars fall on your parade. I didn’t think the sun would rise up in these autumn skies. When the day is done and I have only run… Take the moments be they dark or gold… I didn't see the dawn of light, oh bring me back to life... If I saw the sunlight, would you stop pretending it was dark?
When the day turns to night and the night clouds your eyes, if you seek you will find. Oh you shimmer, you glimmer, you shine.
Whispers of a day gone by… Hoping for a day brand new… Do you believe in sunlight here? Underneath your colorless sky, every kind word has a plastic veneer. I still believe in sunlight. Believe. I still believe that you’re right here.

(my full lyrics can be found here: http://halflightandshadows.com/lyrics.html )
You can hear and order the album “Halflight & Shadows” here: http://www.adrinathorpe.com

No comments:

Post a Comment